Who is Marty Cagan?
Marty Cagan is a product management expert and author with more than 25 years of experience in the tech industry. He founded the Silicon Valley Product Group, a consultancy that helps companies create great products, and he is the co-founder of Inventures. This venture capital firm invests in early-stage product-based businesses.
Here are 10 of Marty Cagan’s best quotes on product management
1. “The most important thing to remember about product management is that it’s not your job to make things happen; it’s your job to make sure things happen.”
2. “Product management is both an art and a science. It’s an art because it requires a lot of creativity and intuition. It’s a science because it requires rigor, data, and analysis.”
3. “Product management is all about creating value for the customer. It’s not about making things or selling things; it’s about creating value.”
4. “The key to great product management is to focus on the right things. You need to prioritize the things that are most important to the customer and focus on solving the right problems.”
5. “It’s not enough to come up with great ideas; you also need to execute them well.”
6. “To be a great product manager, you need to be able to think like a customer.”
7. “You need to be able to see the big picture, but you also need to be able to focus on the details.”
8. “It’s essential to have a strong understanding of technology and how it can be applied to solve customer problems.”
9. “You also need to have a good understanding of business and how it works.”
10. “The most successful product managers are those who can balance both creativity and analysis, and who can think like both a customer and a business person.”