DevSquad Review: Is it legit? + Pricing, Alternatives, and more
What is DevSquad?
DevSquad is an agency with in-house software developers that builds and launches products for companies on demand. Businesses hire DevSquad on a monthly subscription model and only pay for the work they need with no upfront fees.
How DevSquad works
Their process goes like this:
- Fill out a request form outlining what you want DevSquad to do.
- They’ll reach out to discuss further details of your idea.
- The team builds a prototype that you can launch into the market to get feedback.
- Review the prototype and make changes before they build.
- DevSquad ships the final product and code to you in 3 to 6 months’ time.
DevSquad Pros & Cons
|Team provides both developers and product managers to work on your project||Price is between $100 – $150 per hour.|
|No upfront fees||No clear-cut vetting process.|
|A full development team works on your product||Developers are based in Latin America only|
DevSquad uses a ‘software development as a service’ model. This means you pay a monthly development subscription rate based on how many developers you need and can cancel at any time.
They’re not totally transparent with their pricing model on their website. In fact, we found their hourly rates on other websites:
Good alternatives to DevSquad
ReactSquad.io ‘lends’ their in-house React engineers to fast-paced startups so that their clients get a developer embedded in their team, shipping code in < 7 days.
- Perfect for React projects
- Hire fast. You can get started on a project with a developer in less than 7 days.
- They’re 100% focused on React. Not a fit if you need a different framework.
Revelo is a freelance developer platform connecting companies with developers based in Latin America.
- Affordable hourly rates ($50-70 per hour)
- Not ideal if you want to hire globally
- You need to make a non-refundable upfront deposit before any work begins.
Arc is a remote job search platform connecting software developers around the world with startups and tech companies hiring remotely.
- Good choice for long-term contracts.
- Wide range of tech stacks available.
- Slow hiring process
How do the alternatives compare?
|Hourly Rate||$80||$100 – $150||$50 – $70||$60 – $120|
|Upfront costs?||No.||No||Yes. $500 deposit. Not refundable||No|
|How fast can you hire?||Up to 24 hours||Up to 7 days||Up to 14 days||Up to 14 days|
|Geographical Developer Pool||Worldwide||Latin America||Latin America||US, Europe, Latin America|
|Can you request a tech interview, live coding, or test task?||Yes||No||Yes||Yes|
|Can you hire multiple developers?||Yes||Yes||No||Yes|
Which is the best alternative to DevSquad?
|Use Case||Option 1||Option 2|
|You need to launch quickly||Revelo||ReactSquad|
|You want mid and senior developers with 5+ years of experience||ReactSquad||Arc|
|You need great quality at a fair price||ReactSquad||Revelo|
|You want a long-term contract with developers||ReactSquad||Revelo|
|You want to hire from anywhere||Arc||ReactSquad|
Who is the founder?
Phil Alves founded DevSquad in 2014 to help US entrepreneurs create software products using Latin American developers.
Where is DevSquad located?
It’s based in Utah in the United States.
If you want affordable Latin American talent to work with, DevSquad is a good option. But there are cons. Their relaxed vetting process means the developer you get might not deliver the best product. If you want a replacement, might have to lower your expectations; that could take days.
ReactSquad.io is a great alternative that ‘lends’ in-house React engineers to fast-paced startups so that they get a developer embedded in their team, shipping code in < 7 days.