Job Description of a SaaS Product Marketing Manager (+ Free Template)
If you’re a fast-growing SaaS startup, you might be thinking about hiring a Product Marketing Manager – but are you fully aware of the role and responsibilities of a PMM?
Unlike a Product Manager, the Product Marketing Manager mainly focuses on the communication, messaging, positioning, and value proposition of the SaaS product. Consider them to be the bridge between traditional marketing and product management.
If you’re looking to hire a SaaS PMM, or simply want to know the job description of a PMM, it’s important to break down what you can expect from this type of role.
In this blog post, we’ll explore the importance of having a Product Marketing Manager, the responsibilities and required skills, real-life examples of SaaS PMM job descriptions, and much more.
We’ll also provide a free SaaS Product Marketing Manager job description template that you can use to create the perfect job description for your own SaaS company! 🚀
Importance of a Product Marketing Manager in a SaaS Company
A SaaS PMM is responsible for ensuring that the product is positioned correctly in the market and that it meets the needs of the target audience. This role requires someone with a deep understanding of the product, the market, and the competition.
The PMM should be able to communicate the value of the product to potential customers and ensure that the marketing message is consistent across all channels. The PMM is also responsible for creating and executing marketing campaigns related to feature updates and product launches, and working closely with the sales team to provide them with all the product knowledge and marketing collateral they need to be successful.
In addition, it’s vital for the PMM to keep up with industry trends and changes in the market and to make adjustments to the go-to-market strategy as needed.
Roles and Responsibilities of a SaaS Product Marketing Manager
The roles and responsibilities of a SaaS PMM can vary depending on the company and the product, but some of the most common responsibilities include:
- Conducting market research to understand the target audience, competition, and industry trends
- Developing and executing marketing campaigns to educate prospects and drive more leads
- Ensuring the consistency of the product’s positioning, messaging, and value proposition
- Generating go-to-market strategies for the SaaS product
- Creating and maintaining marketing collateral, such as product datasheets, whitepapers, and case studies
- Working closely with the sales team to ensure that they have the tools and resources they need to sell the product effectively
- Creating and delivering product training to the sales team and other stakeholders
- Developing pricing strategies and conducting pricing analysis
- Tracking and reporting on key metrics to measure the success of marketing campaigns and the product overall
Required Skills and Qualifications for a SaaS PMM
To be successful as a SaaS PMM, there are several skills and qualifications that are required. These include:
- Experience as a Product or Marketing Manager, preferably in a SaaS company
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with cross-functional teams, including sales, product, and engineering
- Understanding of marketing and sales metrics, such as conversion rates, customer acquisition costs, and customer lifetime value
- Familiar with marketing automation and CRM tools, such as HubSpot and Salesforce
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Business, or a related field
Key Metrics to Measure the Success of a SaaS Product Marketing Manager
Every SaaS PMM will be tracking the following key metrics to determine if they’re successful
The success of a SaaS PMM can be measured by several key metrics or KPIs, including:
- MRR (Monthly Recurring Revenue): The predictable monthly revenue generated
- Customer Acquisition Cost (CAC): The cost to acquire a new customer
- Customer Lifetime Value (CLTV): The amount of revenue a customer generates over their lifetime
- User Churn Rate: The percentage of customers who discontinue using a company’s product or service over a certain period of time
- User Onboarding Rate: The percentage of new users who successfully adopt and engage with a product or service after signing up.
- Customer Retention Rate: The percentage of existing customers that continue paying for your SaaS product for a certain period of time.
- Trial-to-paid conversions: The number of free trial users who converted at the end of their trial.
Note: These are just some of the many metrics that a SaaS Product Marketing Manager is responsible for. Metrics usually depend on the part of the funnel you’re working on. This could be User Acquisition or Adoption, Product Engagement, Product Conversion, and so on.
Salary Range of a SaaS Product Marketing Manager
According to Indeed, the average salary for a SaaS PMM in the United States is between $75,000 to $172,000 per year.
Although this is a good benchmark, the exact salary range for a SaaS PMM varies depending on the company, location, skillset, and level of experience.
FREE SaaS Product Marketing Manager Job Description Template
It can get difficult to nail down the specifics when you’re writing down a job description for a SaaS PMM role. Luckily, we created this free SaaS PMM job description template to help you out. Feel free to add and subtract whatever seems relevant to your company’s requirements.
Title: Product Marketing Manager, [insert product or department name]
Location: [Location], [Hybrid, On-site, Remote]
Job Type: [Full-time, Part-time, Contractual, etc.]
Role Type: [Entry-level, Associate, Senior, etc.]
About The Job:
[Company Name] is excited to announce an opportunity for a motivated SaaS Product Marketing Manager to join our growing and dynamic team. In this pivotal role, you will be responsible for driving the go-to-market strategy, sales enablement, and overall growth for our innovative [Product Category] software solutions.
As a strategic thinker and collaborative team player, you will work hand-in-hand with product management, sales, customer education, and the broader marketing organization to ensure the successful development and execution of marketing initiatives for our cutting-edge products.
As a SaaS Product Marketing Manager at [Company Name], you will play a critical role in shaping the future of our product offerings by spearheading marketing efforts that accelerate customer acquisition and revenue growth. This highly cross-functional role requires a deep understanding of the SaaS landscape, a customer-centric mindset, and strong communication skills.
Together with our dedicated teams, you will help establish [Company Name] as a market leader in the [Product Category] space while driving product adoption and fostering long-lasting customer relationships.
- Develop and execute go-to-market strategies to support product launches, feature releases, and expansion into new markets.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including sales, product development, engineering, and corporate communications to drive product adoption, customer satisfaction, and revenue growth.
- Educate all internal stakeholders on the product’s communication strategy with current and potential users.
- Create and maintain an in-depth understanding of buyer personas, use cases, and competitor landscape to develop effective product positioning that aligns with customer needs.
- Craft unique value propositions and messaging that resonate with ICPs, highlighting [Company Name]’s market-leading position in the [Product Category] space.
- Develop sales tools, collateral, and content that enable the sales team to effectively communicate the value of [Company Name]’s software solutions to potential customers.
- Continuously track performance metrics and adjust marketing strategies to optimize results and drive growth.
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Business, or a related field.
- [X] Years of Experience in product marketing, preferably in a SaaS company.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven track record of developing and executing successful go-to-market strategies and driving product adoption.
- Strong understanding of SaaS business models, buyer personas, and competitive landscape.
- Solid foundational knowledge of the SaaS industry with proper awareness of best practices and industry trends.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a high-paced cross-functional team, synergizing with other departments such as sales, product, and engineering.
- Understanding of marketing and sales KPIs, such as conversion rates, customer acquisition costs, and customer lifetime value.
- Familiarity with marketing automation and CRM tools, such as HubSpot and Salesforce
Salary and Benefits:
We offer a competitive salary range of $[XXX, XXX – $XXX, XXX] + bonus + equity + benefits for this position.
The exact salary will be determined based on the candidate’s experience, skills, and qualifications. [Company Name] is proud to offer a comprehensive benefits package, including [healthcare, 401(k), paid time off, etc.].
About The Company:
At [Company Name], our mission is to empower our customers with the tools and insights they need to make smarter, data-driven decisions that elevate their businesses. As a key part of the larger marketing organization, we collaborate closely with specialists across various fields to craft captivating stories that support our unique solution offerings.
Our vision is to become a global leader in the [Product Category] space by continuously innovating and providing unparalleled value to our customers. We pride ourselves on our strong company values, which emphasize a commitment to excellence, customer-centricity, and collaboration. At [Company Name], we are passionate about driving positive change in our industry and fostering a supportive work environment where our team members can grow professionally and contribute to our shared success.
To apply for the SaaS Product Marketing Manager role at [Company Name], please submit your resume and cover letter to [Company Email] detailing your experience and qualifications. We look forward to reviewing your application and exploring the possibility of welcoming you to our team!
[Company Name] is an equal-opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
A SaaS Product Marketing Manager’s responsibility is to oversee and execute all marketing initiatives for your product. This includes developing a comprehensive go-to-market strategy, managing all relevant KPIs, and coordinating with various teams to ensure that the product’s positioning and messaging and consistent throughout.
That said, the most crucial aspect of this role is to be a lifelong learner. SaaS is a rapidly developing industry, and your SaaS PMM should be aware of all industry trends, best practices, and other strategies to grow your product to new heights.
If you’re hiring a PMM, make sure it is someone with the necessary skills and experience in the SaaS industry and is ideal for your product.