What is Jeremy Stoppelman’s net worth in 2023? | Bio & Career
- Stoppelman is a member of the PayPal Mafia.
- He was the Vice President of Engineering at Paypal
- He founded Yelp, the recommendations and review app.
As of January 2023, Stoppelman’s personal net worth was around $255 million. He acquired significant wealth following the sale of Paypal to eBay.
Who is Jeremy Stoppelman?
Jeremy Stoppelman is a computer engineer and former Vice President of Engineering at PayPal. He is the founder of Yelp, Inc. and also a member of the PayPal Mafia.
Jeremy Stoppelman was born in Arlington, Virginia on November 10, 1977. He attended Langley High School and a Reform temple for his early education.
From a young age, he developed an interest in stocks and began investing at the age of 14. He also discovered a passion for computer programming around the same time.
He had a strong desire to become a video game developer, which motivated him to take programming courses in high school, where he learned the Turbo Pascal programming system.
He attended the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, where he earned a bachelor’s degree in computer engineering in 1999.
Let’s dive into his career journey.
After graduating from university, Stoppelman started working as a computer engineer at @Home Network. However, he only stayed in this position for 4 months before getting recruited by X.com for an engineering role.
Stoppelman was an engineer at X.com before it became PayPal. He worked with Musk, Levchin, Sacks, Hoffman, and other members of the PayPal Mafia.
He resigned as Vice President of Engineering at PayPal in 2003 after its acquisition by eBay to pursue studies at Harvard Business School.
Stoppelman got the idea to start Yelp in 2004 after having difficulties getting a reliable nearby doctor when got a severe flu. The goal was to establish an online platform where users could share their recommendations for local services.
Stoppelman teamed up with Russel Simmons, a former colleague from PayPal, to build the platform. Thanks to funding from Max Levchin, the group successfully launched Yelp in 2010.
In a 2020 study, it was found that 85% of Yelp users were more likely to purchase after viewing the platform. Yelp reviews contribute to building consumer trust and confidence. There are currently 184 million reviews on Yelp from consumers and businesses worldwide.
It is unknown if Stoppelman is in a relationship despite being seen wearing a wedding band.
Best Quotes by Jeremy Stoppelman
- “I think with every successful consumer internet business, there will be lawyers that are interested in going after your company, especially when they think that there’s a financial incentive.”
- “The biggest thing is to create a product that consumers find useful. A more and more people like something, it becomes harder and harder to have a conspiracy theory about it.”
- “I’ve been through a couple of mergers – they’re not that fun. And it’s easy to lose your focus on this grandiose mission you established for yourself as an independent company.”
- “As a kid, I harbored this fantasy of starting a company. I looked at the entrepreneur column in Forbes. I looked at it every month and thought, I want to be that guy.”
- “Maintaining the trust of the customer is critical to our business. We live and breathe only one thing, which is wanting to connect consumers with great local businesses, and I don’t feel we can do that if we don’t have effective ways to prevent gaming of the system.”